Accepted Insurances at University Health Services
University Health Services is transitioning to accepting some outside insurances. Check back here for a list of accepted providers.
Before Your Visit
To expedite your visit at UHS, students are encouraged to provide us with their health insurance information ahead of time. Soon, we will have a secure, digital way for you to submit your information to us. Until then, current students may:
- Enter your health insurance information through our MyUHS secure portal. Please note, this is only available to current students with PSU usernames and passwords. If you have recently activated your account, please wait 7 days before you try entering the MyUHS portal. OR
- Fill out this health insurance form with your information, and fax or mail it back to U H S. OR
- Bring their health insurance card to the Information Desk in the Student Health Center during our business hours to be entered into our system.
What To Do If You Are Uninsured
Penn State students are eligible to purchase a student health insurance plan for the upcoming academic year. All undergraduate students taking three or more credits or graduate students taking one or more credits are eligible to purchase the plan. The plan is offered online through Aetna Student Health Insurance.
What to Do If Your Insurance Is Not Accepted
If you are seen here and your insurance is not accepted, out of network benefits, if you have them, will apply.
*Important Note about Geisinger Health Plan* Geisinger Health Plan will not pay for services at University Health Services. Contact GHP customer service for either an authorization to be seen at UHS or a referral to another local provider.
H M Os
If you belong to an H M O plan, call your insurance company, even if it's from one of the companies listed below, to verify where your student can recieve treatment. Some HMO plans will issue guest memberships.
Current List of Accepted Insurances
U H S is a participating provider with the following insurance companies:
- Penn State Student Health Insurance, underwritten by Aetna Student Health
- Highmark Blue Shield
- Cigna (with the exception of physical therapy)
- UnitedHealthcare (listed in their provider directory as The Pennsylvania State University)
- PA Medical Assistanc (fee for service plan) and United Health Care Community Plan
- Tricare: UHS is not a participating provider with Tricare but will submit bills directly to Tricare and accept the reimbursement amount set by federal regulation
- Blue Cross: Please contact your plan for benefit coverage. Click for more information on how to determine your eligibility.
- The UHS ambulance service participates only with Medicare and Pennsylvania Medical Assistance (Medicaid). The ambulance service is out of network for all commercial insurance plans; patients are responsible for the charges in full and your insurance company may reimburse some or all of the charges based on your plan’s benefits.
See our Billing FAQ
If you have a question about insurance at UHS, please call 814-865-6555. Please do not call the Advice Nurse for insurance questions.